About the Project

Situated on Kent St in Sydney, a warm and inviting space resided in what was once upon a time, a jam factory. A classic Victorian warehouse, which dates back to 1887, was restored by Anthony and renowned Sydney Architect, Renato D’Ettorre and sat next to a cobbled laneway which, in its previous life, was utilised by horse and carriage. With the Italian word “Vicolo” translating to “laneway”, the aptly named Vicolo exuded warmth, ambience and history. And you could also find great food, wine and coffee.

Anthony rode the great café revolution that swept the outskirts of Sydney CBD and made it a worthy Italian breakfast, brunch, and lunch spot. The rustic, unsophisticated fit-out, bright and chirpy on the outside with an intimate warmth on the inside drew people like a moth to a flame.

Resting against the beautiful brickwork were shelves stocked full of wines and a busy countertop display of fresh pastries and sandwiches. Vicolo became a popular spot for coffee which pumped out consistent quality thanks to a discerning selection of coffee beans. Hot and cold coffees were handed out frequently with a large queue that never seemed to ever die down.

The lunch menu was small, but dishes were generous, with various daily specials, and permanent dishes like the Rustic Porchetta Panini and Meatball Panini and of course pasta was one of the key dishes served.

The claim to fame is that Anthony was able to turn a vacant café with very little passing trade into a humming, buzzing, place-to-be venue which people still talk about today.

Vicolo was sold in June 2017

Location:

Sydney CBD

Dates:

2014 – 2017